- September - June: Sunday School & Teen SOYO after the Divine Liturgy.
- Late Winter: Creative Arts & Writing Workshops.
- Summer: Summer Reading Club
- Summer & Winter: Summer & Winter Camp at Antiochian Village (Ligonier, PA).
- August: Vacation Church School. (Sunday School / Teen SOYO Registration)
- Autumn, Winter and Spring Sessions: Catechumens and Inquirers.
- Paschal Lent: Annual Lenten Retreat.
- Throughout the Year: Retreats & Workshops at Antiochian Village.
- Periodically: Adult studies on Scripture, Patristics, spiritual writings, etc.
Visit our News & Events page for upcoming series.
Each year around the Fourth of July, one church in the Eastern Dioceses hosts a Parish Life Conference, where the faithful can gather together for worship, organizational meetings, Bible study, luncheons, entertainment events, and the Bible Bowl & Oratorical competitions.
Each church has the opportunity to send one Teen and one Adult team of three individuals to compete in the Bible Bowl. Participants answer questions taken from the designate book, and score points for correct answers. The winning Teen team takes home a trophy, and will compete in a national competition. The winning Adult team just gets satisfaction. All participants take home a greater knowledge of God's word, since the best preparation includes both memory work and more in-depth study.
Bible Bowl encourages participants to read the designated book thoroughly and repeatedly, in order to learn well the content. The result of this intense study is not only a good Bible Bowl score, but the gaining of knowledge of God's Word, which will stay with the participants their entire life.
The PLC also offers the opportunity for Teens to compete in an Oratorical competition. Two divisions are offered, Junior (ages 13-16) and Senior (ages 17-19). Participants present a speech of several minutes' length on the Conference theme. Strict criteria are required, and judges are found from outside the Archdiocese; one is usually a priest, to judge the theological aspects of the presentation, and the other two are often educators who have experience and expertise in English, speech, and presentation arts.
St. Philip's Lenten Retreat 2022
Our Lenten Retreat was recorded and is available on our YouTube channel
An Afternoon with St. John Chrysostom
Dr. David Ford
Professor of Church History at St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Theological Seminary
Presented by Fr John Oliver
Pastor, St Elizabeth Church, Murfreesboro, TN
Session 1: Discovering our Interior Life: Truth in the Inward Parts
Session 2: Understanding our Interior Life: from Psychology to Christology
Session 3: Loving our Interior Life: from Condemnation to Compassion
Session 4: Purifying our Interior Life: Depending Not on the Consolation of Beginners
Session 5: Sharing our Interior Life: Repentance as Our Gift to the World
April 13, 2013
Paul Finley, Director, FOCUS St Herman House of Hospitality, Cleveland, OH
Sunday Homily (mp3)
Chant: Great Doxology (mp3)
(Please note: lecture audio files may not correspond exactly with beginning and ending of topics.)
March 10, 2012
Fr Victor Gorodenchuk, Pastor, St Stephen Cathedral, Philadelphia, PA
[Click here for images referenced in lectures 1 & 2]
Lecture 1 - What We Think We Know (.mp3 file)
Lecture 2 - Does the Scientific Approach Hold All the Keys? (.mp3 file)
Lecture 3 - The Creation Story in Genesis: More Than Meets the Eye (.mp3 file)
Click on the study title to access the presentation notes. (.pdf)
St. Polycarp of Smyrna: Bishop, Martyr, and Teacher of Apostolic Tradition
Lectures: (Click here to listen or download.)
- St. Polycarp of Smyrna: The Man and his Epistle
- The Epistle to the Philippians: Exhortations unto Righteousness
- The Martyriun Sancti Polycarpi: About the Text and its Theology
- The Martyriun Sancti Polycarpi as Hagiography
The Shepherd of Hermas
- General Introduction
- Penance and Repentance
St. Gregory of Nyssa: On the Soul and the Resurrection
- General Introduction and "The Nature of the Soul"
- The Soul after Death
- The Soul's Origin - The Soul's Destiny
- Faith and Reason - St. Gregory's Theological Method
St. Basil the Great: On the Holy Spirit
- Who is St. Basil the Great and what is "On the Holy Spirit"
- The Holy Trinity and the Divinity of the Holy Spirit
- St. Basil's Sources and Methods in Theology
St. Athanasius the Great: The Redemptive Plan in On the Incarnation
- General Introduction and "The Divine Dilemma"
- Christ the Incarnate Teacher and Redeemer
- Christ the Word and Life Incarnate
St. Ephrem of Nisibis: God's Self-Revelation as seen in the Hymns on Paradise
- Biographical Introduction and "The Garment of Words"
- God's Two Witnesses: Holy Scripture and Nature
- Hiddenness and Revelation
St. John Chrysostom on Wealth and Virtue
- Lazarus and the Rich Man as Exemplars for our Salvation
- The Proper Evaluation of one's Life
- The Meaning and Use of Wealth
- Open Discussion of the Six Homilies